Wednesday, January 26, 2011

homemade turtles

So this is another recipe that is super easy, quick and painless. I had a box of Townhouse crackers from the holidays that I hadn't opened yet, and wanted to get rid of them. So I thought to myself, "What Would Grandma Do?" This woman has so many recipes that I will never be able to find a big enough recipe binder to hold them all, so consulting her is just the right thing to do. She had made these treats over the holidays, and although she used Ritz, because that's what the recipe calls for, I decided I'd use up these crackers instead. These "Turtles" took about 20 minutes to make, when compared to the cheesecake I was going to make instead is like lightning speed. They're made with only 4 ingredients too. Did I mention this recipe was easy? And fast? Trust me, you'll love them either way.

Homemade Turtles

1 container (12.5 ounces) caramel topping
1 cup finely chopped pecans
3 dozen round, butter-flavoured crackers (Ritz)
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

 

In a medium saucepan, combine caramel topping and pecans over medium heat. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool, about 10 minutes. Spoon about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the caramel mixture on top of each cracker (I laid out the crackers on a foil or wax paper lined baking sheet for easiness). Refrigerate the crackers while your melting the chocolate to firm the caramel. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Now, there are two ways you can apply the chocolate. One method is, using tongs, dip the bottom of each cracker in the chocolate, leaving the top middle part of the cracker leaving the caramel and pecans peek out. The way I did it was to let the chocolate cool a bit until just warm, and fill a ziploc bag with it. Then I cut a very small corner off the bag and piped the chocolate onto the tops of the crackers, leaving the bottoms bare ( I personally like bare bottoms ;-P ). Refrigerate the cracker for about an hour or until the chocolate is firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes about 3 dozen crackers.

This poor turtle isn't going to make it!


No comments:

Post a Comment