Thursday, November 18, 2010

soft molasses cookies

When it comes to Christmas, the thing I love most is the food. And more importantly, the baking. I could eat and eat and eat all Christmas long, then scarf all the leftovers once it's done. These cookies are my Grandma's recipe, who is absolutely the best cook I know. And how she does it, I have no idea. Seriously, I asked her for this recipe, and she practically rattled it off without looking at a recipe book. How do they do that?

These cookies taste like a gingerbread cookie, but with a special certain kick. They stay soft, flavourful and decadent for however long it takes you to eat them (which won't be long, by the way, especially if I'm around). These fall into my top two favourite cookie, tied with my Grandma's other recipe, Rolo cookies. Should I post those on here sometime too? Only if you're very, very lucky. You're lucky I'm sharing this family favourite with you right now. So let's get to it before I change my mind.

Soft Molasses Cookies
1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup classic molasses
1 whole egg
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 cup sugar or more, for rolling

Cream the butter in a large bowl. Add the 2 sugars and cream well. Add the molasses and egg; beat.

 In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cardamom, cloves, salt and pepper.

*Now, I'm a poor student, and didn't shell out the cash for cardamom, which depending on where you can find it, can be rather expensive. So I subtituted nutmeg this time and they turned out really well. Aaaaand, slap me on the wrist, but I forgot the add the white pepper. It really punches up the flavour of the other spices, so don't you forget it!*

 Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in two parts, mixing with a spoon just until dry ingredients are incorporated. Cover dough and chill for 1 hour. Roll into 1 inch balls and roll in remaining sugar. Place on a parchment lined cooking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. The edges should be set, while the top of the cookie begins to have a crackled appearance and is still slightly puffy. Cool and store in an airtight container.

These cookies freeze well too! Double the recipe and eat 1 batch now, while you freeze the other half to break out during the holidays. Perrrrfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment